THE TOP 5 BENEFITS OF A PROTEIN RICH DIET
Protein, one of the three major macro-nutrients, is an essential part of any healthy diet. The benefits are countless, but here are our top 5:
1. Muscles are built on protein If you want to gain muscle mass, then consuming a high protein diet is a must. Especially if you take part in regular physical activity like weight training. Eating lots of protein is also a great way to maintain muscle mass during a stage of weight loss.
2. Protein satisfies hunger Luckily for the carnivores amongst us, studies show that protein is more filling than carbs or fats. This is because it reduces ghrelin, often referred to the hunger hormone, whilst boosting peptide YY, the hormone that helps reduce our food intake. This is why people trying to lose weight often cut out carbs and fats and opt for a protein rich diet instead.
3. Bones, bones, bones Consuming lots of protein is essential when it comes to the health of your bones, especially for growing children and people approaching their later years. Different proteins help your bones in different ways. Oily fish, for example, is a great source of calcium, whereas, proteins like chicken can enhance bone density and help with tissue growth.
4. Burn calories and boost metabolism Protein can help speed up your metabolism and burn calories. Combined with plenty of exercise, this is another reason why people trying to shed some pounds often incorporate protein into their weight loss plan.
5. Protein lowers blood pressure According to Age UK, 16 million people in the UK suffer from high blood pressure, which is the main cause of strokes, heart attacks and chronic kidney disease. Studies show that having a high protein intake can lower both blood pressure, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. You can get protein from a huge variety of food, including fish, lean meats, chicken, lentils and even peanut butter, but a great way to ensure you’re getting enough protein to support your healthy, active lifestyle is by implementing supplements into your diet.
These many benefits are why we recently invested in a protein machine at the gym, allowing members to get their freshly prepared protein fix before and after workouts. If you haven’t sampled it yet, make sure you try it and tell us what you think! Located in reception next to the water machine.